Home page Origins Saxon Norman 13th Century 15th Century 16th Century 17th Century 18th Century 19th Century 20th Century

18th Century


The Constable’s Seat is against the most westerly pillar of the north aisle and is a relic of bygone customs. Its date is 1714. It stood formerly west of the south door.

The sundial this is to the South East of the Chancel and bears the inscription “Lat. 53. 40., A.D. 1757.” There is also an earlier date, 1737, the dial itself being older than the pillar upon which it now rests. The dial was purchased in 1738 and the steps made in 1773.

The churchyard does not have memorials of outstanding interest, but one in the 18th century is worthy of note. Close to the sundial is a stone to the memory of Ann Crowshaw bearing the date April 31st 1752.

The Weather-cock dates from 1791.

In the early 18th century there were four bells in the Tower, but the condition of three of them was so serious that only one was able to be rung. The result of this, was that the bells were re-cast and increased to six in 1741.

Between 1764-1834, the roof of the nave was hidden by a flat roof of plaster.

The Churchwarden Staves (poles) can be described as interesting and rather than beautiful. They date back to the 18th century.

Return to main site